Explore this test
- Test Details
- Lab Values
- Clinical Significance
- Treatment Options
Total testosterone is a measurement of free and protein-bound testosterone and is the most potent naturally occurring androgen. It is produced by interstitial cells in the testes in response to stimulation by luteinizing hormone (LH). Testosterone is also produced by the ovary and adrenal cortex in small amounts and is responsible for the regulation of gonadotropic secretion and spermatogenesis, as well as the development of male secondary sex characteristics.
Immunoassay – Competitive principle
1.0 mL serum (0.5 mL minimum) collected in serum separator tube (SST / Tiger Top)
Dried Blood collected on an AdvanceDx 100 card (Men Only)
Refrigerated (ship on frozen cold packs)
Refrigerated: 14 days
|7 – <20 years||See Tanner Stages|
Alert values: N/A
|7-<20 years||See Tanner Stages|
Alert values: N/A
- Testosterone is used in the diagnosis and treatment of the following disorders:1-4
- Primary and secondary hypogonadism
- Delayed or precocious puberty
- Impotence in males
- Hirsutism (excessive hair) and virilization (masculinization) in females due to polycystic ovaries, tumors and adrenogenital syndromes
- Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Hayes FJ, et al. Testosterone therapy in men with androgen deficiency syndromes: Endocrine Society clinical practice guidelines. J Clin Endorcinol Metab. 2010;95(6):2536-2559.
- Santen RJ, Allred DC, Ardoin SP, et al. Postmenopausal hormone therapy: an Endocrine Society scientific statement. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95(7 Suppl 1):s1-s66.
- Kopper NW, Gudeman J, Thompson DJ. Transdermal hormone therapy in postmenopausal women: a review of the metabolic eff ects and drug delivery technologies. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2008;2:193-202.
- Goodman N, Cobin RH. Reproductive disorders. In: Camacho PM, Gharib H, Sizemore GW, eds. Evidence-Based Endocrinology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2012:190-228.
- Identify etiology of elevated or decreased total testosterone levels with physical assessment and additional diagnostic tests as indicated
- Treatment is based on etiology of abnormal hormone level